- Riders arrive at Delhi; bikes still in transit.
- Ripped off at a hotel. 2,500 bucks for staying for 7 hours. Desi cola sold for 200 bucks.
- Bikes arrive in Delhi.
- Pulsar 220 has major issue. Takes whole day to rectify.
- Start from Delhi. Sleepless whole night. Halt at dhabha for 2 hours to get some sleep.
- Meet new rider, Pankaj.
- Kiran’s bike fumes under the fuel tank. We strip the bike to fix the issue ourselves. Pankaj parts and proceeds.
- Halt at Mandi for the night.
- Delhi to Mandi – 500 kms – 3 AM to 8:30 PM
- Start from Mandi. Allen takes ‘power nap’ in the middle of the road for 15 minutes. Reach Manali in 2 hours.
- Buy 4 two liter Pepsi bottles, and pour out the Pepsi to carry fuel.
- ATMs not working until 11 AM. Cash in high demand.
- Allen falls sick inhaling petrol fumes. Rest at Manali for the day.
- Mandi to Manali – 100 kms – 3:30 AM to 6:45 AM
- Start from Manali and cross Rohtang Pass. First experience of ice and stream crossing.
- Meet new riders, Ashish and Komal.
- Cross Tandi, last fuel station. Next one 365 kms ahead.
- Cross Baralachala. Cross the toughest and deepest stream with bare feet.
- Halt at Bharathpur; the highest camping location in Ladakh. Approx. 16,000 ft. above sea level.
- Manali to Bharathpur – 198 kms – 4 AM to 7 PM
- Freezing early in the morning. Hard time getting ready. Ashish is sick. Komal stays back with him.
- Cross the 21 Gata Loops.
- Allen’s bike breaks down. In the middle of nowhere. 8 hours of travel away from cell phone signal or any spares.
- After 3 hour wait, some bulleteers offer help and manage to move on.
- Halt at the next immdiate camping location, Pang. Visit Army camp for some medical attention.
- Bharathpur to Pang – 100 kms – 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Head out of Pang. Cross Moore Plains, a cold desert at 16,000 ft.
- Cross Taglang La, the World’s second highest motorable road.
- Vegetation from Rumtse. Finally at Leh!
- Pang to Leh – 180 kms – 8:30 AM to 4 PM
- In and around Leh.
- Visit Leh Palace, fort and some shopping.
- Procure permits to visit other places around Leh.
- Apar’s bike punctured. Rides pillion on the 220.
- Head to Pangong Tso Lake.
- Cross Chang La, the World’s third highest motorable road. Free tea at the top, provided by the Army.
- Allen’s bike breaks down again. Manage to temporarily fix and move on. Reach Lake in the afternoon.
- On the way back, Allen’s bike gives up at the top of Chang La. Bike pushed back 60 kms to Leh.
- Leh to Pangong Tso and back – 300 kms – 6:30 AM to 8 PM
- Start late to Khardung La.
- Reach the top of the Pass pretty easily. Finally, traveled the World’s highest motorable road.
- GPS shows 800 ft. lesser than the altitude marked at the top Khardung La.
- 220 clutch cable snaps while tightening. Replace spare
- Leh to Khardung La and back – 150 kms – 12:30 PM to 6 PM
- Start the day with drizzles. Prepare for rain ride.
- Pass through the Magnetic Hill.
- Some exoctic snow capped moutains seen on the way. Snow appears silver and clean due to the rain the previous night.
- Halt at Kargil for the day.
- Leh to Kargil – 220 kms – 9 AM to 6 PM
- Head towards Srinagar.
- Caution message at a place: CAUTION! You are under enemy observation.
- Visit the Drass War Memorial. Drass; the coldest inhabited place (-60 deg.) in 1995.
- Pass through some of the most exotic valleys of Kashmir.
- Reach Srinagar in the evening.. Chikkara boat ride in the Dal Lake.
- Kargil to Srinagar – 200 kms – 7 AM to 4 PM
- Foggy roads in the morning.
- Allen and Kiran overshoot 50 kms without realizing. Have tea and get back on track.
- Meet at few Tamil army men.
- Kiran drops bike due to weight. Front brake level replaced.
- Srinagar to Jammu – 300 kms – 4:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- Highway ride back to Delhi. Sync up every 100 kms.
- Jammu to Delhi – 600 kms – 7:30 AM to 8 PM
- Spend at Delhi. Inquire packers and movers and fix up deal.
- Visit India Gate. Pick up some stuff from Imran’s place.
- Head back to base.
4 guys, 15 days, 2900 kms, 18380 ft. above sea level.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
Check out the day by day detailed blog.